Short Stay Visa to work in France (90 days or less)
Most foreigners (including artists) must obtain a work contract approved by the DIRECCTE (Direction Régionale des Entreprises, de la Concurrence, de la Consommation, du Travail et de l’Emploi) formally known as DDTEFP (local division of the Labor Department in France) and a special short-stay visa issued by the Consulate before leaving for France.
YES, except if you are a citizen of one of the following countries:
|Special rule applies to citizens from:|
|UNITED STATES OF AMERICA|
|Who do NOT need a work visa as long as they can provide a work permit from the DIRECCTE (DDTEFP) when crossing the border.|
|If no work permit from the DIRECCTE (DDTEFP) can be provided when crossing the border, a work visa is mandatory.|
|The above rule applies ONLY to FRANCE, NOT TO OVERSEAS DEPARTMENTS OR TERRITORIES, AND NOT TO MONACO.|
A work contract must be sent by your French employer to the local Employment Office DIRECCTE Direction Régionale des Entreprises, de la Concurrence, de la Cosommation, du Travail et de l’Emploi (in other words, French Ministry of Labour).
If approved, a work permit will be provided by the DIRECCTE .
Once endorsed by the DIRECCTE, the contract will have to be presented to the visa section, along with other documents (see "requirements" hereunder).
REMINDER: US Citizens (including artists) do NOT have to apply for a visa providing they carry the work permit from the DIRECCTE when crossing the border.
Processing time depends on your citizenship
At least 2 to 4 weeks is the average processing time if you are a citizen from :
For all other nationalities who need a visa the processing time is about 7 calendar days, in order to avoid unexcepted delays we STRONGLY suggest to apply at least 2 weeks before your departure. Please apply in advance, do not wait for the last minute.
You may apply for your visa NO EARLIER THAN 3 MONTHS before your departure date. No emergency visas will be issued. There is no expedite process.
IMPORTANT: Due to a high number of applicants during the months of JUNE, JULY, AUGUST and DECEMBER, please apply in advance.
Please provide us with the ORIGINAL + 1 COPY of each document including passport and relevant pages.
THE VISA SECTION DOES NOT MAKE ANY COPIES. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
1 — PROOF OF RESIDENCE IN OUR CONSULATE’S JURISDICTION
The French Consulate in Los Angeles only accept applicants who are residents from:
Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Southern California, and Southern Nevada.
You will have to show us at least ONE of the following documents:
- a valid driver license or state ID from one of these states, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction (click here for a map)
- or a valid student ID from a university located in one of these states (or a statement issued within the past 2 months from the registrar of your university, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction).
- or an original lease or rental agreement in the applicant’s name or a notarized statement from the owner or leaseholder plus a recent utility bill in the applicant’s name with an address located in the consulate’s jurisdiction.
2 — ORIGINAL PASSPORT
Original passport (+ ONE COPY of the identity and relevant pages)
- Must be valid for at least three months after your return to the US
- Has least two blank pages left to affix the visa (amendment pages are not suitable for visas).
- Has been delivered less than 10 years ago date of first issuance (i.e. your passport CANNOT be older than 10 years after your travel in the Schengen states)
- Be in good condition (ie. not torn or damaged)
Refugee travel documents and US Re-entry permits are not accepted.
Diplomatic and special passports are not accepted
3 — PROOF OF LEGAL RESIDENCY IN THE UNITED STATES
A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid U.S. visa with valid I-94 or valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document. (+ ONE COPY)
- If the country of final destination is not the applicant’s country of citizenship, please submit a valid visa, a resident permit, a work permit or any other document showing that the applicant is allowed to enter or reside in such country.
- B1-B2 visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence.
NO VISAS WILL BE DELIVERED to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
4 — PROCESSING FEE FOR SHORT STAY SCHENGEN VISA
To be paid in person on the day of the appointment (Visa/Mastercard ONLY, debit card).
Click here for a list of the application fees.
- 108.8 kb
- Schengen Visa - Application Form (PDF)
5 — SHORT STAY "SCHENGEN" VISA APPLICATION FORM
One APPLICATION FORM filled out completely and signed by the applicant. (+ ONE COPY)
6 — PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPH
7 — ORIGINAL WORK PERMIT FROM THE DIRECCTE
- Original work permit from the DIRECCTE + ONE COPY
8 — FLIGHT RESERVATION
- Your FLIGHT reservation: with a complete personal itinerary or round trip ticket reservation with confirmed dates. Open tickets are not accepted.
9 — PROOF OF MEDICAL COVERAGE VALID ABROAD
- 4.9 kb
- Travel insurance details
- a TRAVEL INSURANCE certificate that can be reserved online valid for the Schengen States or valid worldwide
The document MUST indicate in writing that it covers EACH of the following requirements:
urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospitalization or death
minimum coverage amount of 50,000 US$.
your full name and the effective dates of medical coverage + ONE COPY
must be purchased from a travel insurance company, it cannot come from a personal medical insurance company
We will not accept any insurance that does not mention all of the requirements stated above.
10 — FEDEX EXPRESS US AIRBILL AND ENVELOPE:
- To mail back your passport, please provide a self-addressed FedEx Express "US Airbill" or an online prepaid FedEx Airbill printed from the FedEx website
- and FedEx enveloppe
- for US Airbill, please fill out your own address twice (you are the sender AND the recipient):
Your name and address
|Select shipping preference|
Your name and address
We will NOT accept other methods of delivery: (NO USPS, NO UPS, NO FedEx "Ground/Home" service))
DO NOT WRITE THE ADDRESS OF THE CONSULATE IN YOUR RETURN FEDEX AIRBILL
The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
The French Consulate in Los Angeles can refuse the issuance of a visa.
Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen space.
- If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling or rescheduling your appointment by logging back in the appointment system and click on “changing your appointment”.
You will need your “LAX” confirmation number and passport number.
One appointment = one person (for instance, a family of four = 4 appointments)
- Due to the high number of applicants, the French Consulate reserves the right to cancel appointments made by the same person on the same day (or even on two different dates).
WARNING: To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer internet browser
- Adobe Acrobat reader
- Allow pop-ups
- The appointment system is NOT compatible with Mac computers or Chrome browsers