Registration in France of a divorce decree issued in another country (verification of opposability

A divorce must be registered with the French authorities as soon as possible. The documents should be sent directly to the competent Procureur who will acknowledge receipt of them. The Consulate General of France may not register a second marriage until the divorce has been registered and the fact included on the birth certificate.

The following documents must be submitted:

- Letter of request on plain paper addressed to the Procureur de la République, signed, dated and including your full address.

Exemple de lettre :

"Monsieur le Procureur de la République,
J’ai l’honneur de solliciter la vérification de l’opposabilité en France de mon jugement de divorce étranger, rendu le (date) par le Tribunal de (ville, état), afin d’apposer les mentions nécessaires en marge de mes actes de naissance et de mariage. Ci-joints les documents nécessaires.

Veuillez agréer, Monsieur le Procureur de la République, l’expression de mes sentiments distingués."

- Certified copy of final judgment of dissolution of marriage translated into French by a translator on our list. (Check on our part “traducteur”)

- Certificate of non-appeal stipulating that the divorce is irrevocable and that the time for filing notice of appeal has expired. This document must be obtained from some Court or a lawyer and translated by a translator on our list.

Exemple de lettre de non-appel établi par l’avocat :

"Je soussigné ................, avocat au barreau de …….., exerçant à [office address], atteste que le
jugement de divorce prononcé le [date of the final judgement of divorce] par le [complete name of the Court or of the Magistrate] entre M. [Name of client] et Mme [name of his ex-spouse] est un jugement définitif et, selon la loi locale, n’est plus susceptible d’appel par aucune des parties à l’instance."

- Birth certificate of the French spouse - original issued within the last 6 months and including the date of marriage (not a photocopy of the “livret de famille”).

- French Marriage certificate, registered by the French consulate if the marriage took place outside of France (original, not a copy of the “livret de famille”). If the marriage was celebrated in France, please ask to the city hall.

- Proof of address of French spouse - Photocopies of bill and Consular registration certificate if registered with a Consulate.

- Proof of French nationality of French spouse(s) (French passport or French national identity card).

These documents must be sent to:
...if the marriage was performed outside of France:

Monsieur le Procureur de la République
Tribunal de Grande Instance de Nantes
Quai François Mitterrand
44000 Nantes, France

...if the marriage was performed in France:

Monsieur le Procureur de la République
près du Tribunal de Grande Instance de (jurisdiction where the marriage was performed)
or of Paris: Monsieur le Procureur de la République
près le Tribunal de Grande Instance de Paris
Parquet Civil, 14 Quai des Orfèvres
75059 Paris Louvres, France

Dernière modification : 24/03/2016

top of the page