You are a Parent [fr]
- French and American Education Systems
- How to Enroll your Children in a French Program?
|Age||French system||American system|
|Crèche / Maternelle||Day care / Pre-school|
|2-3||très petite section (TPS) ou crèche||nursery school/day care|
|3-4||petite section de maternelle (PS)||preschool|
|4-5||moyenne section de maternelle (MS)||pre-kindergarten|
|5-6||grande section de maternelle (GS)||kindergarten|
|École primaire||Elementary School|
|Collège||Junior high school / Middle school|
|Lycée||Senior high school (certaines peuvent commencer au 9th grade)|
|Université||College / University|
|(DEUG dans l’ancien système)||18-20 ans : Associates of Arts (AA)|
|18-21: licence (3 ans)||20-22: Bachelor of Arts (BA) / Bachelor of Science (BS)|
|21-23: master (2 ans)||22-24: Master’s (MBA, MA, MS)|
|23-27: doctorat (3 ans)||24-27: PhD.|
Note: American schools don’t follow the year of birth as in France, but enroll children in a class based on their age on September 1st. A child can only enter the public school system if she or he turns 6 years old before September 1st. To know more about the French and American school systems, please visit the CIEP website.
There are six schools in the consular district of Los Angeles that are approved by the French Ministry of Education and respect the French curriculum.
International School of Arizona, Scottsdale, Arizona
Accredited for maternelle (pre-school) to CE1 (2nd grade). CM1 and CM2 coming soon.
9128 E. San Salvador Drive, Scottsdale, AZ 85258
Phone: (480) 874-2326 - Fax : (480) 663-6894
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Le Lycée Français de Los Angeles
Accredited for maternelle to high school (literary, economic and scientific BAC offered). Le Lycée Français also offers the French-American BAC
Le Lycée Français has five campuses :
- Campus Overland Élémentaire (2-5th grades) 3261 Overland Avenue, Los Angeles Tél : (310) 836-3464 Email : email@example.com
- Campus Overland Secondaire (6-9th grades) 3261 Overland Avenue, Los Angeles Tél : (310) 836-3464 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Campus 55 Maternelle 3055 Overland Avenue, Los Angeles Tél : (310) 839-1055 Email : email@example.com
- Campus de Pacific Palisades Maternelle : pre-school à 2nd grade 16720 Marquez Avenue, Pacific Palisades Tél : (310) 454-3663 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Campus Raymond and Esther Kabbaz Lycée : 9-12th grade 10309 National Boulevard, Los Angeles Tél : (310) 836-3464 x331 Email : email@example.com
The LILA has five campuses :
- Burbank Campus 6th - 12th grade (French Science or Economics Baccalaureate, and International Baccalaureate) 1105 W. Riverside Drive, Burbank Phone: (818) 900-1895 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Los Feliz Campus Pre-school to 5th grade 4155 Russell Avenue, Los Angeles Phone: (323) 665-4526 Email : email@example.com
- Orange County Campus Pre-school to 8th grade 1838 N. Shaffer Street, Orange Phone: (714) 771-4710 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Campus de West Valley Pre-school to 5th grade 5933 Lindley Ave, Tarzana Phone: (818) 345-0155 Email : email@example.com
- Campus de Pasadena Pre-school to 5th grade 30 N. Marion Avenue, Pasadena Phone: (626) 793-0943 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
San Diego French-American School, San Diego, California
Accredited for pre-school to 8th grade
6550 Soledad Mountain Road, La Jolla, CA 92037
Phone: (858) 456-2807 - Fax : (858) 459-2670
Immersion programs teach the classic American curriculum taught in a foreign language. This target language is different from a subject, it is the language of learning.
The curriculum can be taught in French at various degrees. The objective is not solely to speak a second language, but also to master the contents of the different disciplines that are being taught in this language.
Immersion programs in the consular district are currently limited to daycare, pre-school, and elementary schools. The Cultural Services of the French Consulate in L.A. support and help the creation of bilingual programs. Please write to email@example.com for any question regarding bilingual programs.
Please note that the following list of bilingual schools is not exhaustive and does not engage the responsibility of the French Consulate.
- L’Alouette pre-school (private) 11356 Missouri Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90025. Phone: (424) 293-2387 / Portable : (310) 890-4750 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- École Clairefontaine pre-school (private) 310 Westminster Avenue, Venice, CA 90291 Phone: (310) 314-9976 - Fax : (310) 314-5503 E-mail: email@example.com
- Franklin Magnet School elementary (public) 1610 Lake Street, Glendale, CA, 91201 Phone: (818) 243-1809 Contact sur cette page
- L’héritage français elementary (private) 14128 Leffingwell Road, Whittier, CA 90604 Phone: (562) 906-5995 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Le Jardins des enfants pre-school (private) 222 S. Victory Blvd, Burbank CA 91502 Phone: (818) 561-7772 Email : email@example.com
- Language Garden pre-school (private) 1067 South Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90019 Phone: (323) 930-1527 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Le Petit gan de Sophie pre-school (private) 1071 S Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90048 Phone: (310) 866-0570 Email : email@example.com
- Petit à Petit pre-school (private) West Los Angeles (Barrington&Olympic) Phone: 818 694 6438 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Petite School House pre-school (private) with one afternoon in French every week 17643 Roscoe Boulevard, Northridge, CA 91325 Phone: (818) 708-8766 Email : email@example.com
- Phoenix Global Green School pre-school (private) 4626 Collis avenue. Los Angeles, CA 90032 Phone: (323) 255-5701 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Richland Elementary elementary (public) 11562 Richland Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90064 Phone: (310) 473-0467 Email : RichlandFrenchAcademy@lausd.net
- Savoir Faire pre-school (private) 117 West Torrance Blvd, Redondo Beach, CA 90277 Phone: 310.379.1086 Contact
- The World Club pre-school (private) with weekly French workshops Phone: (424) 442 0171 Email : email@example.com
- World speak Preschool and Elementary pre-school and elementary (private) 1639 Westwood Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90024 et 2387 Malcolm Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90064 Phone: (310) 441-5222 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- The French Montessori Preschool of San Diego pre-school (private) 2428 Monroe Ave. San Diego, CA 92116 Phone: (619) 534-5328 Contact
- The Language Academy elementary (public) 14961 64th St., San Diego, CA 92115 Phone: (619) 287-1182 Contact
- The French American School of Arizona pre-school to middle school (private) 2222 S Price Rd, Tempe, AZ 85282 Phone: 480-334-9608 Contact
- Desert Sun Academy K-1 (public) 27880 N 64th St, Scottsdale, AZ 85262 Phone: 480-575-2900 Contact: email@example.com
- International School of Tucson pre-school et elementary (private) 1701 East Seneca Street, Tucson AZ 85719 (520) 406-0552 E-mail: info@InternationalSchoolofTucson.com
- Academy International Elementary School elementary (private) 8550 Charity Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 90920 Phone: (719) 234-4000 Contact
- Blossom pre-school (private) 4700 Sioux Drive, Boulder, CO 80303 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 303 819 4084
- Colorado International School pre-school et elementary (private) 4100 E. Iliff Avenue, Denver, CO 80222 Phone: (303) 282-6666 E-mail: email@example.com
- Global Village Academy Aurora pre-school (public) 1410 Laredo St, Aurora, CO 80011 Phone: 970-237-4926
- Global Village Academy Fort Collins pre-school et elementary (public) 2130 W. Horsetooth Road. Fort Collins, CO 80526 Phone: (970) 282-3767
- Montessori Visions Academy pre-school (private) 1905 East Warm Springs. Las Vegas, NV 89119 Phone: (702) 451-9801 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Note regarding pre-school enrollment
Daycare and pre-schools do not exist in the public sector — schooling is only required after the age of 6. Private "Day Care Center & Preschools" enroll children aged 5 or younger. The families are responsible for making sure that the center has been officially licensed.
The FLAM (Français Langue Maternelle) program was initiated in 2001-2002 by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It is especially targeted at French expatriates and supports extracurricular activities and opportunities for French children enrolled in local schools to speak their mother language. A pedagogic program has been created to address the specific needs of these children. It allows them to develop communication, reading and writing skills in French. Various aspects of the French language are being taught, together with a deep cultural background. Please visit the program website for additional information.
Such programs exist in Long Beach, CA and Pasadena, CA
- First French Tutoring, Long Beach Po Box 92366. Long Beach CA 90809 Phone: 562 304 0121 Contact: Chantal Harzig
- France Exchange, Los Angeles : 3590 Grand view boulevard. Los Angeles 90066 Tel : 310 962 3004 Contact: Florence Farenc
- Savoir Faire Language Institute, Torrance : 117 West Torrance Blvd. Redondo Beach, CA 90277 Phone: 310.379.1086 Contact: Joelle Petit Adkins
- Yak Academy, Los Angeles 553 North Pacific Coast Highway, Suite C Phone: (424) 901-0000 Contact: email@example.com
American schools sometimes offer French summer programs. French schools in the US and after-school programs may also have summer camps. Please visit their websites for more information.
- Alliance française de Los Angeles
- Alliance française de San Diego
- Alliance française de la Riviera Californienne
The CNED: http://www.cned.fr/
The Centre National d’Enseignement à Distance offers distance-learning courses in the French system. There are different options:
- "Scolarité à classe complète réglementée": offers the entire French curriculum to students who are not enrolled in any school. The student follows the courses under the sole responsibility of her or his family and has access to the French curriculum as defined by the official guidelines of the French Ministry of Education, from the "Cours préparatoire (CP)" to the "CM2" level.
- "Scolarité à inscription libre" gives access to the French curriculum according to the French curriculum as defined by the official guidelines of the French Ministry of Education, from the "Cours préparatoire (CP)" to the "CM2" level. The student can be enrolled in a school at the same time.
- "Scolarité complémentaire internationale" gives students who live outside of France access to a program of three core subjects. The aim is to help the student keep in contact with the French system and ease going back to the French system.
Several language schools in the area offer CNED courses— Find their addresses in the list of "private-after schools"
To take the official French Baccalaureate, the International Baccalaureate or the Brevet examinations, please contact the West Coast coordinator:
The exams take place at the Lycée Français de Los Angeles:
3261 Overland Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90034
Phone: (310) 836-3464 - Fax : (310) 558-8069
Supervisor: Monsieur Petauton
For more information about exams, please contact:
Service des Examens du Lycée Rochambeau de Washington
9600 Forest Rd, Bethesda, MD 20814
Phone: (301) 530-8260
Independent or external candidates, please contact Mme Boga-Sbihi to take the Baccalaureate examination.
You may also visit the AEFE (Agence pour l’enseignement français à l’étranger) website
Please visit this page for all the information regarding grants for French families in the US (in French).