Short stay visa for tourism, business, or familial visit (SCHENGEN visa)
Click on each numbered categories to expand:
A Schengen visa, also called "C" visa, is a short stay visa (up to 90 days per semester) valid for the 26 States member of the Schengen agreement unless indicated otherwise on your visa:
You must apply in the country of your residence. No visas will be delivered to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
YES, if you hold a passport from the following countries. CLICK HERE for the list.
|Cape Verde||Central Africa||Chad||China||Colombia|
|Comoros||Congo||D.R. Congo (ex-Zaïre)||Cuba||Djibouti|
|Dominican Republic||Ecuador||Egypt||Equatorial Guinea||Eritrea|
|Hong Kong (except S.A.R.*)||India||Indonesia||Iran||Iraq|
|Lesotho||Liberia||Libya||Macao (except S.A.R. and BNO)||Macedonia*|
|Palau||Palestinian Nationals||Papua New Guinea||Peru||Philippines|
|Qatar||Russia||Rwanda||Sao Tome & Principe||Solomon|
|Saudi Arabia||Senegal||Serbia*||Sierra Leone||Somalia|
|South Africa||Sri Lanka||Sudan||Surinam||Swaziland|
|Tuvalu||Uganda||Ukraine||United States Re-entry permit travel document||United States Refugee Travel Document|
|*ALBANIA, BOSNIA, MACEDONIA, MOLDAVIA, MONTENEGRO, SERBIA: no visa required if you hold a biometric passport|
*TAIWAN: No visa required for holders of a Taiwanese passport with a "Personal ID number" (Taiwanese national ID number) written in the passport (found above the date of birth).
*HONG KONG SAR or BNO: no visa required for a stay of 90 days or under
Note that not needing a visa for France does NOT necessarily mean that you do not need one to visit the other Schengen countries or to visit overseas territories (please check our website).
Processing time depends on your citizenship. No emergency visas will be issued.
There is no expedite process. Between of 2 to 4 weeks is the average processing time if you are a citizen from :
|Syria||United States "Re-entry permit" travel document||United States "Refugee" travel document||Yemen||Zimbabwe|
For all other nationalities who need a visa the processing time is about 7 calendar days, in order to avoid unexcepted delays we STRONGLY suggest to apply at least 2 weeks before your departure. Please apply in advance, do not wait for the last minute.
You may apply for your visa NO EARLIER THAN 3 MONTHS before your departure date. No emergency visas will be issued. There is no expedite process.
IMPORTANT: Due to a high number of applicants during the months of JUNE, JULY, AUGUST and DECEMBER, please apply in advance.
One passport = one set of visa documents (i.e. a family of 4 visa applicants = 4 sets of visa documents)
THE VISA SECTION DOES NOT MAKE ANY COPIES. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
- NOTE: If you are invited to do research in France, you must apply for the following visa
The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
The French Consulate in Los Angeles can refuse the issuance of a visa.
Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country.
- Children under the age of 12 are not required to be present if applying for a SCHENGEN visa (but an appointment must be booked under their name)
- If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling or rescheduling your appointment by logging back in the appointment system and click on “changing your appointment”. You will need your “LAX” confirmation number and passport number.
One appointment = one person (for instance, a family of four = 4 appointments)
- FOR MINOR APPLICANTS: a parent or guardian over the age of 18 must be present with the applicant on the day of the appointment , however the parent or guardian is not required to make an appointment.
- Due to the high number of applicants, the French Consulate reserves the right to cancel appointments made by the same person on the same day or on two different dates.
WARNING: To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer internet browser. The appointment system is NOT compatible with Mac computers or Chrome browsers
- Adobe Acrobat reader
- Allow pop-ups
NOTE: Any appointments taken for a French citizen will automatically be cancelled.