Short stay visa for tourism, business, or familial visit (SCHENGEN visa)
A Schengen visa, also called "C" visa, is a short stay visa (up to 90 days per semester) valid for the 26 States member of the Schengen agreement unless indicated otherwise on your visa:
YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries :
|Cape Verde||Central Africa||Chad||China||Colombia|
|Comoros||Congo||D.R. Congo (ex-Zaïre)||Cuba||Djibouti|
|Dominican Republic||Ecuador||Egypt||Equatorial Guinea||Eritrea|
|Hong Kong (except S.A.R.*)||India||Indonesia||Iran||Iraq|
|Lesotho||Liberia||Libya||Macao (except S.A.R.)||Macedonia*|
|Palau||Palestinian Nationals||Papua New Guinea||Peru||Philippines|
|Qatar||Russia||Rwanda||Sao Tome & Principe||Solomon|
|Saudi Arabia||Senegal||Serbia*||Sierra Leone||Somalia|
|South Africa||Sri Lanka||Sudan||Surinam||Swaziland|
|Tuvalu||Uganda||Ukraine||United States Re-entry permit travel document||United States Refugee Travel Document|
|*ALBANIA, BOSNIA, MACEDONIA, MOLDAVIA, MONTENEGRO, SERBIA: no visa required if you hold a biometric passport|
*TAIWAN: No visa required for holders of a Taiwanese passport with a "Personal ID number" (Taiwanese national ID number) written in the passport (found above the date of birth).
*HONG KONG SAR (Special Administrative Region): (Dark blue passport) no visa required for a stay of 90 days or under
Note that not needing a visa for France does NOT necessarily mean that you do not need one to visit the other Schengen countries or to visit overseas territories (please check our website).
Diplomatic and official passport holders, please contact us.
Processing time depends on your citizenship. No emergency visas will be issued.
There is no expedite process. A minimum of 15 days is the average processing time if you are a citizen from :
|Syria||United States "Re-entry permit" travel document||United States "Refugee" travel document||Yemen||Zimbabwe|
For all other nationalities who need a visa, we strongly suggest to apply at least 2 weeks before your departure. Please apply in advance, do not wait for the last minute.
You may apply for your visa NO EARLIER THAN 3 MONTHS before your departure date. No emergency visas will be issued. There is no expedite process.
THE VISA SECTION DOES NOT MAKE ANY COPIES.
1 — PROOF OF RESIDENCY IN OUR CONSULATE’S JURISDICTION
The French Consulate in Los Angeles only accept applicants who are residents from:
Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Southern California, and Southern Nevada.
You will have to show us at least ONE of the following documents :
- a valid driver license or state ID from one of these states, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction (click here for a map) + ONE COPY
- OR a valid student ID from a university located in one of these states (or a statement issued within the past 2 months from the registrar of your university, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction). + ONE COPY
- OR an original lease or rental agreement in the applicant’s name or a notarized statement from the owner or leaseholder plus a recent utility bill in the applicant’s name with an address located in the consulate’s jurisdiction. + ONE COPY
2 — ORIGINAL PASSPORT
Original passport or travel document + ONE COPY of the identity
- Must be valid for at least three months after your return to the US, and be in good condition (ie. not torn or damaged)
- Has least two blank pages left to affix the visa (amendment pages are not suitable for visas).
- Has been delivered less than 10 years ago date of first issuance (i.e. your passport CANNOT be older than 10 years after your travel in the Schengen states)
3 — PROOF OF LEGAL RESIDENCY IN THE UNITED STATES
A valid U.S. permanent residence card GREEN CARD + ONE COPY
or a valid work or student U.S. visa with valid I-94 and valid I-20 if F1 visa or J1 DS doc, + ONE COPY of each
or an Advance Parole document. + ONE COPY
- B1-B2 visa holders: You must apply in the country of your residence.
4 — PROCESSING FEE FOR A SHORT STAY VISA
To be paid in person on the day of the appointment (Visa or Mastercard ONLY).
Click here for a list of the application fees.
NO cash, NO money order, NO checks. Visa / Mastercard ONLY, preferably by debit card.
5 — SHORT STAY "SCHENGEN" VISA APPLICATION FORM
One APPLICATION FORM filled out completely and signed by the applicant.
6 — PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPH
One PASSPORT PHOTO. Do not glu or staple. More details on photograph requirements.
no older than 6 months, in color, plain white background, photo quality paper, passport size (2"x2"), (no glasses), your face must fill about 75-80% of the photograph, taken facing the camera, no side or angled view, (no smiling), uncovered (head coverings are not permitted except for religious reasons, but your facial features from bottom of chin to top of forehead and both edges of your face must be clearly shown)
7 — PROOF OF SOCIO-PROFESSIONAL STATUS
IF EMPLOYED: original, recent and signed letter of employment in the U.S. confirming your salary, hire date, position and dates of vacation
Note: offer letters of employment are not accepted.
- AND your last 2 paystubs + ONE COPY
IF SELF-EMPLOYED: business license + recent tax returns. + ONE COPY
IF YOU ARE A STUDENT (including minors): a recent letter from your school or university confirming enrollment status and attendance + ONE COPY
HOMEMAKERS should provide their SPOUSE’s documents:
- original, recent and signed letter of employment in the U.S. confirming salary, hire date and position (or if self-employed business license + tax return document); + ONE COPY
- last 2 pay stubs; + ONE COPY
- last 2 monthly bank statements (from a US bank); + ONE COPY
- original marriage certificate and official original translation if applicable (in English) + ONE COPY
If RETIRED: Your last 2 recent monthly bank statements from a US bank showing monthly balance and your name.
For a BUSINESS TRIP:
Please provide a letter from your host company in France describing in detail your business trip activities, mentioning your dates of trip as well as the name and full address of the contact person(s) in France. + ONE COPY
- NOTE: If you are invited to do research in France, you must follow the requirements for the Short stay visa for scientists, researchers, professors holding a “CONVENTION D’ACCUEIL”
For all MINORS under the age of 18 years old:
- Birth certificate (with an official translation in English, if applicable) + ONE COPY
And if the minor is travelling without his parents or with only ONE parent:
- notarized parental authorization from both parents or from the parent not travelling with the child, allowing the child to travel to France as a school trip, or authorizing to travel with the other parent
- or notarized parental authorization from the parent exercising full custody of the child according to the divorce decree, please bring : certified copy of divorce decree stating that you have full custody of the child(ren). (+ ONE COPY)
8 — PROOF OF FINANCIAL MEANS
- your last 2 recent monthly bank statements showing monthly balance and your name (checking and/or savings). Bank statements should come from a bank in the United States, show monthly transactions and that you have enough money for the duration of your stay in the Schengen States. + ONE COPY
9 — PROOF OF MEDICAL COVERAGE VALID ABROAD
- a TRAVEL INSURANCE certificate that can be reserved online valid for the Schengen States or valid worldwide
VERY IMPORTANT: the document MUST indicate in writing that it covers EACH of the following requirements:
urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospitalization or death
minimum coverage amount of 50,000 US$.
your full name and the effective dates of medical coverage + ONE COPY
must be purchased from a travel insurance company, it cannot come from a personal medical insurance company
We will not accept any insurance that does not mention all of the requirements stated above.
10 — FLIGHT RESERVATIONS
Your ROUND-TRIP FLIGHT reservation with a complete personal itinerary or round trip ticket reservation with confirmed dates. Open tickets are not accepted.
Note if you are traveling to the Schengen area from the United Kingdom or another non-Schengen country, you must additionally provide flight or train reservation showing Schengen area entrance/exit.
11 — PROOF OF ACCOMMODATION
- If you intend to visit only ONE (1) Schengen country, you must apply at the Consulate of that specific country.
- If you intend to visit more than one Schengen country, you must apply at the Consulate of the country of your main destination, where you will be staying the longest.
Example #1: you arrive in France and stay for 5 days, then travel to Italy for 2 days = you must apply for your Schengen visa at the French consulate
Example #2: you arrive in France and stay 2 days, then travel to Italy for 4 days = you must apply for your Schengen visa at the Italian consulate.
- If you intend to visit more than one Schengen country for the SAME AMOUNT OF TIME, you must apply at the Consulate of your first entry.
For example: you arrive in France and stay 3 days, then you travel to Italy for 3 days = you must apply for your Schengen visa at the French consulate, as you arrive in France first.
Confirmed HOTEL RESERVATIONS for your entire stay in all of the Schengen states listing all hotel addresses and dates of travel. Your full name must show up on the reservations as a guest.
or an official itinerary from your travel agent stating that you are part of a tour (listing full hotel addresses and dates of travel). Your name must show up on the reservation. + ONE COPY
or, if you are staying with FRIENDS or FAMILY, original of "ATTESTATION D’ACCUEIL" that your host has to request at the City Hall (Mairie) in France + ONE COPY
- NOTE: If you are the father/mother of a French citizen please follow the requirements for the Short Stay Visa for parent of a French national.
12 — If you wish to have your passport mailed back bring:
- A self-addressed FedEx Express "US Airbill" or an online prepaid FedEx Airbill printed from the FedEx website and FedEx enveloppe
- for US Airbill, please fill out your own address twice (you are the sender AND you are the recipient):
Your name and address
|Select shipping preference|
Your name and address
We will NOT accept other methods of delivery: (NO USPS, NO UPS, NO FedEx "Ground/Home" service))
DO NOT WRITE THE ADDRESS OF THE CONSULATE IN YOUR RETURN FEDEX AIRBILL
The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
The French Consulate in Los Angeles can refuse the issuance of a visa.
Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country.
- Children under the age of 12 are not required to be present if applying for a SCHENGEN visa (but an appointment must be booked under their name)
- If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling or rescheduling your appointment by logging back in the appointment system and click on “changing your appointment”.
You will need your “LAX” confirmation number and passport number.
One appointment = one person (for instance, a family of four = 4 appointments)
- FOR MINOR APPLICANTS: a parent or guardian over the age of 18 must be present with the applicant on the day of the appointment , however the parent or guardian is not required to make an appointment.
- Due to the high number of applicants, the French Consulate reserves the right to cancel appointments made by the same person on the same day (or even on two different dates).
WARNING: To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer internet browser. The appointment system is NOT compatible with Mac computers or Chrome browsers
- Adobe Acrobat reader
- Allow pop-ups
NOTE: Any appointments taken for a French citizen will automatically be cancelled.