Do you need a short stay visa for studies?
YES you need a visa, if you are a citizen of the following countries:
||D.R. Congo (ex-Zaïre)|
||Hong Kong (except S.A.R.)|
||Macao (except S.A.R.)
||Trinidad & Tobago
|United Arab Emirates
||US Re-entry permit
||US Refugee Travel Doc.
*BAHREIN, OMAN, QATAR: no visa required for stays of up to 90 days for Diplomatic/special passport holders. (Valid for France ONLY; does not apply to other Schengen countries).
*ALBANIA, BOSNIA, MACEDONIA, MONTENEGRO, SERBIA: no visa required if you hold a biometric passport.
*TAIWAN: No visa required for holders of a Taiwanese passport with a "Personal ID number" (Taiwanese national ID number) written in the passport (found above the date of birth).
NO, if you hold a passport issued by a country NOT listed above, you do not need any visa to enter France for studies. You may stay up to 90 days per semester (90 days over a 6-month period).
As it is a Schengen visa, it also allows you to visit the 25 Schengen States as a tourist, unless indicated otherwise on the visa.
B1-B2 visa holders:
Please, apply in the country of your residence. No visas will be delivered to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
Processing time depends on your citizenship.
No emergency visas will be issued. There is no expedite process.
At least 1 month is the average processing time if you are a citizen from :
|United States "Re-entry permit" travel document
||United States "Refugee" travel document
For all other nationalities, please apply at least 2 weeks before your departure. Please apply in advance, do not wait for the last minute.
You may apply for your visa no earlier than 3 months before your departure date.
No emergency visas will be issued. There is no expedite process.
IMPORTANT: Due to a high number of applicants during the months of June, July and August, please apply in advance.
Please provide us with the ORIGINAL + 1 COPY of each document including passeport and relevant pages.
THE VISA SECTION DOES NOT MAKE ANY COPIES.
You must bring your documents and the required copies otherwise your visa will automatically be denied
1 — Proof of residency in our consulate’s jurisdiction
The French Consulate in Los Angeles only accept applicants who are residents from:
Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Southern California, and Southern Nevada.
You will have to show us at least ONE of the following documents:
- a valid driver license or state ID from one of these states, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction (click here for a map)
- or a valid student ID from a university located in one of these states (or a statement issued within the past 2 months from the registrar of your university, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction).
- or an original lease or rental agreement in the applicant’s name or a notarized statement from the owner or leaseholder plus a recent utility bill in the applicant’s name with an address located in the consulate’s jurisdiction.
2 — Original passport
Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity and relevant pages)
- Must be valid for at least three months after your return to the US
- Has least two blank pages left to affix the visa (amendment pages are not suitable for visas).
- Has been delivered less than 10 years ago date of first issuance (i.e. your passport CANNOT be older than 10 years after your travel in the Schengen states)
- Be in good condition (ie. not torn or damaged)
3 — Proof of legal residency in the United States
A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid U.S. visa with valid I-94 or valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document. (+ ONE COPY)
- If the country of final destination is not the applicant’s country of citizenship, please submit a valid visa, a resident permit, a work permit or any other document showing that the applicant is allowed to enter or reside in such country.
- B1-B2 visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence.
NO VISAS WILL BE DELIVERED to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
4 — Processing Fee for a short stay visa
To be paid in person on the day of the appointment (Visa or Mastercard ONLY).
Click here for a list of the application fees.
5 — Short stay "Schengen" visa application form
- Schengen Visa - Application Form (PDF)
One APPLICATION FORM filled out completely and signed by the applicant. (+ ONE COPY)
6 — Passport photograph
One PASSPORT PHOTO. Do not glu or staple. More details on photograph requirements.
7 — PROOF OF REGISTRATION IN FRANCE
Proof of registration in a university or school program in France indicating dates of study
8 — PROOF OF REGISTRATION IN THE UNITED STATES
Proof of registration in a US school or university
9 — PROOF OF FINANCIAL GUARANTEE
Students must prove that they have access to at least $820 per month. Proof may be provided in the form of:
- (i) a recent bank statement (no older than 30 days) showing full name with a balance of $820 multiplied by the number of months to be spent in France. (+ ONE COPY)
(Ex: Balance = $820 x number of months in France. For instance, for 6 months stay in France: $820 x 6 = $4920)
- or (ii) a notarized statement from a guarantor declaring that the guarantor will provide the student applicant with at least $820 per month, accompanied by the guarantor’s most recent bank statement (no older than 30 days) with their full name (make sure to indicate the guarantor’s relationship in regards to the student). (+ ONE COPY of each)
10 — FLIGHT RESERVATIONS
Your ROUND-TRIP FLIGHT reservation: with a complete personal itinerary or round trip ticket reservation with confirmed dates. Open tickets are not accepted. (+ ONE COPY)
11 — PROOF OF ACCOMMODATION
- Confirmed hotel reservations for your entire stay in the Schengen states or a letter from the school listing the full address of accommodation and length of stay
- or a letter from your travel agent stating that you are part of a tour (stating all hotel addresses).
- or, if you are staying with friends or family, original of "Attestation d’Accueil" that your host has to request at the City Hall (Mairie) in France
12 — PROOF OF MEDICAL COVERAGE ABROAD
- a TRAVEL INSURANCE valid for the Schengen States which must cover and must state in writing the following requirements:
- urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospitalization or death
- minimum coverage amount of 50,000 US$. (+ ONE COPY)
- or a letter from your insurance company stating in writing that you are covered abroad. (+ ONE COPY)
The letter must stipulate ALL of the following in writing that the coverage is:
1) valid outside the U.S, worldwide or overseas ("out of area" is not acceptable)
2) cover repatriation costs,
3) cover urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospitalization or death,
4) and cover for a minimum amount of 50,000 US$.
For all minors under the age of 18 years old:
- Birth certificate (with an official translation in English, if applicable) (+ ONE COPY)
- And if the minor is travelling without his parents or with only ONE parent:
- notarized parental authorization from both parents or from the parent not travelling with the child, allowing the child to travel to France as a school trip, or authorizing to travel with the other parent
- or notarized parental authorization from the parent exercising full custody of the child according to the divorce decree, please bring : certified copy of divorce decree stating that you have full custody of the child(ren). (+ ONE COPY)
IF YOU WISH TO HAVE YOUR PASSPORT MAILED BACK TO YOU
- A self-addressed FedEx Express "US Airbill" or an online prepaid FedEx Airbill
- and FedEx enveloppe
- for US Airbill, please fill out your own address twice (you are the sender AND the recipient):
Your name and address
|Select shipping preference|
Your name and address
We will NOT accept other methods of delivery: (NO USPS, NO UPS, NO FedEx "Ground" service)
The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen space.
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
All applicants must apply in person and must make an appointment on our website. Personal appearance is mandatory.
We regret that at this time we do not accept appointments over the phone or via email.
- If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling or rescheduling your appointment by logging back in the appointment system and click on “changing your appointment”.
You will need your “LAX” confirmation number and passport number.
One appointment = one person (for instance, a family of four = 4 appointments)
- FOR MINOR APPLICANTS: a parent or guardian over the age of 18 must be present with the applicant on the day of the appointment , however the parent or guardian is not required to make appointment.
- Due to the high number of applicants, the French Consulate reserves the right to cancel appointments made by the same person on the same day (or even on two different dates).
WARNING: To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Firefox 1.0 and higher
- Mozilla 1.7.8 and higher
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher
- Adobe Acrobat reader and higher
- Allow pop-ups
- The appointment system is NOT compatible with Mac computers