Short stay visa for studies (90 days or under)
YES, if you hold a passport from the following countries:
|Cape Verde||Central Africa||Chad||China|
|Comoros||Congo||D.R. Congo (ex-Zaïre)||Cuba||Djibouti|
|Dominican Republic||Ecuador||Egypt||Equatorial Guinea||Eritrea|
|Hong Kong (except S.A.R.*)||India||Indonesia||Iran||Iraq|
|Lesotho||Liberia||Libya||Macao (except S.A.R. and BNO)||Macedonia*|
|Palestinian Nationals||Papua New Guinea||Philippines|
|Qatar||Russia||Rwanda||Sao Tome & Principe||Solomon|
|Saudi Arabia||Senegal||Serbia*||Sierra Leone||Somalia|
|South Africa||Sri Lanka||Sudan||Surinam||Swaziland|
|Tuvalu||Uganda||Ukraine||United States Re-entry permit travel document||United States Refugee Travel Document|
|*ALBANIA, BOSNIA, MACEDONIA, MOLDAVIA, MONTENEGRO, SERBIA: no visa required if you hold a biometric passport|
*TAIWAN: No visa required for holders of a Taiwanese passport with a "Personal ID number" (Taiwanese national ID number) written in the passport (found above the date of birth).
*HONG KONG SAR or BNO: no visa required for a stay of 90 days or under
If you are issued a "Schengen" visa, it will allow you to visit the 26 Schengen States as a tourist, unless indicated otherwise on the visa.
B1-B2 visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence. No visas will be delivered to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
Processing time depends on your citizenship. No emergency visas will be issued.
There is no expedite process. Between of 2 to 4 weeks is the average processing time if you are a citizen from :
|Syria||United States "Re-entry permit" travel document||United States "Refugee" travel document||Yemen||Zimbabwe|
For all other nationalities who need a visa the processing time is about 7 calendar days, in order to avoid unexcepted delays we STRONGLY suggest to apply at least 2 weeks before your departure. Please apply in advance, do not wait for the last minute.
You may apply for your visa NO EARLIER THAN 3 MONTHS before your departure date. No emergency visas will be issued. There is no expedite process.
IMPORTANT: Due to a high number of applicants during the months of JUNE, JULY, AUGUST and DECEMBER, please apply in advance.
One passport = one set of visa documents (i.e. a family of 4 visa applicants = 4 sets of visa documents)
THE VISA SECTION DOES NOT MAKE ANY COPIES. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
1 — PROOF OF RESIDENCE IN OUR CONSULATE’S JURISDICTION
The French Consulate in Los Angeles only accept applicants who are residents from:
Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Southern California, and Southern Nevada.
You will have to show us at least ONE of the following documents:
- a valid driver license or state ID from one of these states, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction (click here for a map)
- or a valid student ID from a university located in one of these states (or a statement issued within the past 2 months from the registrar of your university, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction).
- or an original lease or rental agreement in the applicant’s name or a notarized statement from the owner or leaseholder plus a recent utility bill in the applicant’s name with an address located in the consulate’s jurisdiction.
2 — ORIGINAL PASSPORT
Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity and relevant pages)
- Must be valid for at least three months after your return to the US
- Has least two blank pages left to affix the visa (amendment pages are not suitable for visas).
- Has been delivered less than 10 years ago date of first issuance (i.e. your passport CANNOT be older than 10 years after your travel in the Schengen states)
- Be in good condition (ie. not torn or damaged)
3 — PROOF OF LEGAL RESIDENCY IN THE UNITED STATES
A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid U.S. visa with valid I-94 or valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document. (+ ONE COPY)
- If the country of final destination is not the applicant’s country of citizenship, please submit a valid visa, a resident permit, a work permit or any other document showing that the applicant is allowed to enter or reside in such country.
- B1-B2 visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence.
NO VISAS WILL BE DELIVERED to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
4 — PROCESSING FEE FOR SHORT STAY SCHENGEN VISA
To be paid in person on the day of the appointment (Visa/Mastercard ONLY, debit card).
Click here for a list of the application fees.
5 — SHORT STAY "SCHENGEN" VISA APPLICATION FORM
- 108.8 kb
- Schengen Visa - Application Form (PDF)
One APPLICATION FORM filled out completely and signed by the applicant. (+ ONE COPY)
6 — PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPH
7 — PROOF OF REGISTRATION IN FRANCE
Proof of registration in a university or school program in France indicating dates of study and full address of the school in France.
8 — PROOF OF REGISTRATION IN THE UNITED STATES
Proof of registration in a US school or university (a recent letter signed with a letterhead, such as an enrollment verification, letter from registrar, letter from head of the department)
9 — FOR MINORS under the age of 18 years old:
- Birth certificate (with an official translation in English) + ONE COPY
- if the minor is travelling without his parents or with only ONE parent: notarized parental authorization from both parents or from the parent not travelling with the child, allowing the child to travel to France as a school trip, or authorizing to travel with the other parent OR notarized parental authorization from the parent exercising full custody of the child according to the divorce decree, please bring : certified copy of divorce decree stating that you have full custody of the child(ren). + ONE COPY
10 — PROOF OF FINANCIAL MEANS
- your last 2 recent monthly bank statements showing monthly balance and your name (checking and/or savings). Bank statements should come from a bank in the United States and show that you have enough money for the entire duration of your stay in the Schengen States. (+ ONE COPY)
11 — FLIGHT RESERVATIONS
Your ROUND-TRIP FLIGHT reservation: with a complete personal itinerary or round trip ticket reservation with confirmed dates. Open tickets are not accepted. (+ ONE COPY)
12 — PROOF OF ACCOMMODATION
- Confirmed hotel reservations for your entire stay in the Schengen states or a letter from the school listing the full address of accommodation and length of stay. Your dates of accommodation must match your flight reservations (arrival and departure date in the Schengen area).
- or, if you are staying with friends or family, original of "Attestation d’Accueil" that your host has to request at the City Hall (Mairie) in France + ONE COPY
13 — PROOF OF MEDICAL COVERAGE VALID ABROAD
- 4.9 kb
- Travel insurance details
- a TRAVEL INSURANCE certificate that can be reserved online valid for the Schengen States or valid worldwide
The document MUST indicate in writing that it covers EACH of the following requirements:
urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospitalization or death
minimum coverage amount of 50,000 US$.
your full name and the effective dates of medical coverage + ONE COPY
must be purchased from a travel insurance company, it cannot come from a personal medical insurance company
We will not accept any insurance that does not mention all of the requirements stated above.
14 — FEDEX EXPRESS US AIRBILL AND ENVELOPE:
- A self-addressed FedEx Express "US Airbill" or an online prepaid FedEx Airbill printed from the FedEx website
- and FedEx enveloppe
- for US Airbill, please fill out your own address twice (you are the sender AND the recipient):
Your name and address
|Select shipping preference|
Your name and address
We will NOT accept other methods of delivery: (NO USPS, NO UPS, NO FedEx "Ground/Home" service))
DO NOT WRITE THE ADDRESS OF THE CONSULATE IN YOUR RETURN FEDEX AIRBILL
The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen space.
- Children under the age of 12 are not required to be present if applying for a SCHENGEN visa (but an appointment must be booked under their name)
- If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling or rescheduling your appointment by logging back in the appointment system and click on “changing your appointment”.
You will need your “LAX” confirmation number and passport number.
One appointment = one person (for instance, a family of four = 4 appointments)
- FOR MINOR APPLICANTS: a parent or guardian over the age of 18 must be present with the applicant on the day of the appointment , however the parent or guardian is not required to make an appointment.
- Due to the high number of applicants, the French Consulate reserves the right to cancel appointments made by the same person on the same day (or even on two different dates).
WARNING: To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer internet browser
- Adobe Acrobat reader
- Allow pop-ups
- The appointment system is NOT compatible with Mac computers or Chrome browsers