Short stay visa for scientists, researchers, professors holding a "Convention d’Accueil"
|Special rule applies to citizens from:|
|UNITED STATES OF AMERICA|
|Who do NOT need a "scientist" visa for 90 days or less as long as they can provide a CONVENTION D’ACCUEIL stamped by your host and stamped by the Préfecture when crossing the border.|
|The above rule applies ONLY to FRANCE, not to overseas Departments and Territories.|
- B1-B2 visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence. No visas will be delivered to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
Processing time may take between 1 week and 3 weeks, depending on your citizenship.
At least 3 weeks is the average processing time if you are a citizen from :
|Syria||United States "Re-entry permit" travel document||United States "Refugee" travel document||Yemen||Zimbabwe|
Please, apply in advance. Do not wait for the last minute.
THE VISA SECTION DOES NOT MAKE ANY COPIES.
You must bring all the required documents and the photocopies otherwise your visa will be denied
One passport = one set of visa documents (i.e. a family of 4 visa applicants = 4 sets of visa documents)
1 — PROOF OF RESIDENCY IN OUR CONSULATE’S JURISDICTION
The French Consulate in Los Angeles only accept applicants who are residents from:
Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Southern California, and Southern Nevada.
You will have to show us at least ONE of the following documents :
- a valid driver license or state ID from one of these states, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction (click here for a map) + ONE COPY
- OR a valid student ID from a university located in one of these states (or a statement issued within the past 2 months from the registrar of your university, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction). + ONE COPY
- OR an original lease or rental agreement in the applicant’s name or a notarized statement from the owner or leaseholder plus a recent utility bill in the applicant’s name with an address located in the consulate’s jurisdiction. + ONE COPY
2 — ORIGINAL PASSPORT
Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity and relevant pages)
- Must be valid for at least three months after your return to the US
- Has least two blank pages left to affix the visa (amendment pages are not suitable for visas).
- Has been delivered less than 10 years ago date of first issuance (i.e. your passport CANNOT be older than 10 years after your travel in the Schengen states)
- Be in good condition (ie. not torn or damaged)
3 — PROOF OF LEGAL RESIDENCY IN THE UNITED STATES
A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("GREEN CARD") (+ ONE COPY)
or a valid work or student U.S. visa with valid I-94 and valid I-20 if F1 visa or J1 DS doc, (+ ONE COPY)
or an Advance Parole document. (+ ONE COPY)
- B1-B2 visa holders: You must apply in the country of your residence.
NO VISAS WILL BE DELIVERED to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
4 — SHORT STAY "SCHENGEN" VISA APPLICATION FORM
- 108.8 kb
- Schengen Visa - Application Form (PDF)
One APPLICATION FORM filled out completely and signed by the applicant. (+ ONE COPY)
5 — PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPH
6 — ORIGINAL CONVENTION D’ACCUEIL
Original "CONVENTION D’ACCUEIL" (equivalent of a work contract) provided and stamped by your host and stamped by the Prefecture. (+ 2 COPIES)
YOU MUST PROVIDE THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENT. We will NOT accept your application if you provide photocopies or scans.
7 — If you wish to have your passport mailed back bring:
- A self-addressed FedEx Express "US Airbill" or an online prepaid FedEx Airbill printed from the FedEx website
- and FedEx enveloppe
- for US Airbill, please fill out your own address twice (you are the sender AND the recipient):
Your name and address
|Select shipping preference|
Your name and address
We will NOT accept other methods of delivery: (NO USPS, NO UPS, NO FedEx "Ground/Home" service))
DO NOT WRITE THE ADDRESS OF THE CONSULATE IN YOUR RETURN FEDEX AIRBILL
The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
The French Consulate in Los Angeles can refuse the issuance of a visa.
Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen space.
- If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling or rescheduling your appointment by logging back in the appointment system and click on “changing your appointment”.
You will need your “LAX” confirmation number and passport number.
One appointment = one person (for instance, a family of four = 4 appointments)
- Due to the high number of applicants, the French Consulate reserves the right to cancel appointments made by the same person on the same day (or even on two different dates).
WARNING: To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Adobe Acrobat reader
- Allow pop-ups