Working in France for less than 90 days
Most foreigners (including artists) must obtain a work contract approved by the DIRECCTE (Direction Régionale des Entreprises, de la Concurrence, de la Consommation, du Travail et de l’Emploi) formally known as DDTEFP (local division of the Labor Department in France) and a special short-stay visa issued by the Consulate before leaving for France.
Scientists and researchers holding a "convention d’accueil" must follow other procedures.
Do I need a visa?
YES, except if you are a citizen of one of the following countries:
|Special rule applies to citizens from:|
|UNITED STATES OF AMERICA|
|Who do NOT need a work visa as long as they can provide a work permit from the DIRECCTE (DDTEFP) when crossing the border.|
|If no work permit from the DIRECCTE (DDTEFP) can be provided when crossing the border, a work visa is mandatory.|
|The above rule applies ONLY to FRANCE, NOT TO OVERSEAS DEPARTMENTS OR TERRITORIES, AND NOT TO MONACO.|
Special rules apply for family members of a European Union citizen
How to obtain a short stay visa to work in France?
A work contract must be sent to the local Employment Office DIRECCTE Direction Régionale des Entreprises, de la Concurrence, de la Cosommation, du Travail et de l’Emploi formally known as DDTEFP (in other words, French Ministry of Labour).
If approved, a work permit will be provided by the DIRECCTE .
Once endorsed by the DIRECCTE, the contract will have to be presented to the visa section, along with other documents (see "requirements" hereunder).
REMINDER: US Citizens (including artists) do NOT have to apply for a visa providing they carry the work permit from the DIRECCTE when crossing the border.
Processing time may take between 1 day and 3 months, depending on your citizenship.
At least 1 month is the average processing time if you are a citizen from :
Please, apply in advance. Do not wait for the last minute.
Please provide us with the ORIGINAL + 1 COPY
of each document including passport and relevant pages.
THE VISA SECTION DOES NOT MAKE ANY COPIES.
You must bring all the required documents and the photocopies otherwise your visa will be denied
1 — Proof of residency in our consulate’s jurisdiction
The French Consulate in Los Angeles only accept applicants who are residents from:
Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Southern California, and Southern Nevada.
You will have to show us at least ONE of the following documents:
- a valid driver license or state ID from one of these states, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction (click here for a map)
- OR a valid student ID from a university located in one of these states (or a statement issued within the past 2 months from the registrar of your university, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction).
- OR an original lease or rental agreement in the applicant’s name or a notarized statement from the owner or leaseholder plus a recent utility bill in the applicant’s name with an address located in the consulate’s jurisdiction.
2 — Original passport
Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity and relevant pages)
- Must be valid for at least three months after your return to the US
- Has least two blank pages left to affix the visa (amendment pages are not suitable for visas).
- Has been delivered less than 10 years ago date of first issuance (i.e. your passport CANNOT be older than 10 years after your travel in the Schengen states)
- Be in good condition (ie. not torn or damaged)
3 — Proof of legal residency in the United States
A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid U.S. visa with valid I-94 or valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document. (+ ONE COPY)
- B1-B2 visa holders: You must apply in the country of your residence.
NO VISAS WILL BE DELIVERED to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
4 — Processing Fee for a short stay visa
To be paid in person on the day of the appointment (Visa or Mastercard ONLY).
Click here for a list of the application fees.
NO cash, NO money order, NO checks. Visa / Mastercard ONLY.
5 — Short stay "Schengen" visa application form
- Schengen Visa - Application Form (PDF)
One APPLICATION FORM filled out completely and signed by the applicant. (+ ONE COPY)
6 — Passport photograph
One PASSPORT PHOTO. Do not glu or staple.
More details on photograph requirements.
7 — Work permit from the DIRECCTE
Original work permit from the DIRECCTE. (+ ONE COPY)
8 — Flight reservation
Your ROUND-TRIP FLIGHT reservation: with a complete personal itinerary or round trip ticket reservation with confirmed dates. Open tickets are not accepted. (+ ONE COPY) (+ ONE COPY)
9 — PROOF OF MEDICAL COVERAGE VALID ABROAD
- a TRAVEL INSURANCE that can be reserved online valid for the Schengen States or valid worldwide
VERY IMPORTANT: the document MUST indicate in writing that it covers EACH of the following requirements:
- urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospitalization or death
- minimum coverage amount of 50,000 US$.
- your full name and the effective dates of medical coverage (+ ONE COPY)
We will not accept any insurance that does not mention all of the requirements stated above.
IF YOU WISH TO HAVE YOUR PASSPORT MAILED BACK TO YOU
- A self-addressed FedEx Express "US Airbill" or an online prepaid FedEx Airbill
- and FedEx enveloppe
- for US Airbill, please fill out your own address twice (you are the sender AND the recipient):
Your name and address
|Select shipping preference|
Your name and address
We will NOT accept other methods of delivery: (NO USPS, NO UPS, NO FedEx "Ground" service)
The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
The French Consulate in Los Angeles can refuse the issuance of a visa.
Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen space.
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
All applicants must apply in person and must make an appointment on our website. Personal appearance is mandatory as fingerprints and a picture must be taken at our premises.
- If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling or rescheduling your appointment by logging back in the appointment system and click on “changing your appointment”.
You will need your “LAX” confirmation number and passport number.
One appointment = one person (for instance, a family of four = 4 appointments)
- Due to the high number of applicants, the French Consulate reserves the right to cancel appointments made by the same person on the same day (or even on two different dates).
WARNING: To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Firefox 1.0 and higher
- Mozilla 1.7.8 and higher
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher
- Adobe Acrobat reader and higher
- Allow pop-ups
- The appointment system is NOT compatible with Mac computers or Chrome browsers
NOTE: FRENCH CITIZENS applying for a French passport or French ID please make an appointment at the FRENCH SECTION - DO NOT make an appointment at the VISA SECTION.