Long stay visa for studies : for minors (under 18 years old)
Minors who hold a long stay visa to study in France are allowed to reside in France for up to 11 months according to the validity of their visa.
YES, except if you are a citizen of one of the following countries:
|Monaco||The Netherlands||Norway||Poland||Portugal||Romania||San Marino|
Please, apply in advance. Do not wait for the last minute.
You may apply no more than 3 months before your departure date.
About 14 days for United States, Canada, Mexico citizens
Minimum of 15 days for other nationalities
IMPORTANT: Due to the higher number of applicants during the months of June, July and August, we strongly recommend to apply at least 3 weeks before your departure or earlier for US citizens. No emergency visas will be issued.
THE VISA SECTION DOES NOT MAKE ANY COPIES
1 — Proof of residency in our consulate’s jurisdiction
The French Consulate in Los Angeles only accept applicants who are residents from:
Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Southern California, and Southern Nevada.
The applicant or the applicant’s guardian will have to show us at least ONE of the following documents:
- a valid driver license or state ID from one of these states, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction (click here for a map)
- or a valid student ID from a university located in one of these states (or a statement issued within the past 2 months from the registrar of your university, which must be located in the consulate’s jurisdiction).
- or an original lease or rental agreement in the applicant or guardian’s name or a notarized statement from the owner or leaseholder plus a recent utility bill in the applicant’s name with an address located in the consulate’s jurisdiction.
2 — ORIGINAL PASSPORT
(+ ONE COPY of the identity and relevant pages containing the passport holder’s personal data)
- Must be valid for at least three months after your return to the US
- Has at least two blank pages left to affix the visa (amendment pages are NOT suitable for visas).
- Has been delivered less than 10 years ago (date of the first issuance)
- Be in good condition (i.e. not torn or damaged)
If you are not a U.S. citizen please include:
- A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") (+ ONE COPY)
- or a valid U.S. visa with valid I-94 and valid I-20. (+ ONE COPY of each)
- Note: B1-B2 U.S. visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence. No visas will be delivered to foreigners holding U.S. B1-B2 visas.
Refugee travel documents and US Re-entry permits are not accepted.
Diplomatic and special passports are not accepted
3 — PROCESSING FEE FOR A LONG STAY VISA
The processing fee is the full price of a long stay visa (not to be confused with the long stay student visa).
To be paid in person on the day of the appointment (Visa/Mastercard ONLY, preferably debit card).
Click here for a list of the application fees.
4 — LONG STAY VISA APPLICATION FORM
One long stay visa application form filled out completely and signed by the applicant.
Please remember to indicate a date of departure from the US to France on question number 26. (+ ONE COPY)
5 — PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPHS
Two (2) passport photos. Do not glu or staple. All photographs must be recent (no older than 6 months), in color on a plain white background, of full front view, taken facing the camera. No side or angled view are acceptable. Passport size. No hat, no veil.
More details on photograph requirements.
6 — Applicant’s BIRTH CERTIFICATE
(+ ONE COPY)
7 — PROOF OF REGISTRATION IN A FRENCH SCHOOL
Proof of registration in a French school showing their address and the dates of studies (+ ONE COPY)
NOTE: If you are going to turn 18 within the first 3 months of the school year that you are in France and you are studying at a French university (not a High School "lycée"), you must register with Campus France and obtain a 1) "quittance de paiement" and 2) a notice on your Campus France account stating that your application has been processed and you can begin applying for your visa. Please include the finished Campus France registration in addition to your "minor" student visa application.
8 — NOTARIZED PARENTAL AUTHORIZATION
A notarized parental authorization from both parents allowing the minor to travel and study in France
or a notarized parental authorization from the parent exercising full custody of the child according to the divorce decree, please bring : certified copy of divorce decree stating that you have full custody of the child
copy of parent’s passports
9 — PROOF OF HEALTH INSURANCE
A health insurance certificate fully covering the student abroad during his/her stay in France. (+ ONE COPY)
10 — PROOF OF LIABILITY INSURANCE
Liability insurance by an organization specialized in school exchanges and educational stays, to be filled out by this organization.
(+ ONE COPY)
11 — IMMUNIZATION RECORDS
A record of immunization or letter from the family doctor stating when the child received the DTP (diphtheria, tetanus, and polio (anti poliomyelitis)) vaccines.(+ ONE COPY)
12 — SCHOOL TRANSCRIPTS
Notes transcript for the current school year. (+ ONE COPY)
13 — HOST FAMILY AGREEMENT
Host family agreement filled out and signed by both parents of the host family in France
The letter (original + 1 photocopy) must state that they will assume responsibility for payment of all expenses relating to accommodation, education, repatriation costs and also information about the accommodation. (+ ONE COPY)
Photocopy of their national identity card or residence card, if the host is a foreigner.
- if the host family also provides the financial means for the stay in France, they must fill out the financial guarantee form (French version) "Engagement de prise en charge par l’accueillant en France" and they must include: avis d’imposition, bulletin de salaire, attestations bancaires, titre de propriété ou bail, etc.
with proof of their means of income and proof of legal status in France (+ ONE COPY)
14 — PROOF OF FINANCIAL GUARANTEE
Financial guarantee (+ ONE COPY) such as a notarized statement from parents or guardian certifying that the applicant will be provided with a monthly allowance of $820.00 for the duration of his/her stay in France AND:
- from your parents: last 3 bank statements showing monthly balance and their name (+ ONE COPY)
- if from financial aid: letter of financial disbursement or award letter/scholarship (+ ONE COPY)
IF YOU WISH TO HAVE YOUR PASSPORT MAILED BACK TO YOU
- A self-addressed FedEx Express "US Airbill" or an online prepaid FedEx Airbill
- and FedEx enveloppe
- for US Airbill, please fill out your own address twice (you are the sender AND the recipient):
Your name and address
|Select shipping preference|
Your name and address
We will NOT accept other methods of delivery: (NO USPS, NO UPS, NO FedEx "Ground" service)
- The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
The French Consulate in Los Angeles can refuse the issuance of a visa
Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
- If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling or rescheduling your appointment by logging back in the appointment system and click on “changing your appointment”. You will need your “LAX” confirmation number and passport number.
- FOR MINOR APPLICANTS: a parent or guardian over the age of 18 must be present with the applicant on the day of the appointment , however the parent or guardian is not required to make an appointment.
- Due to the high number of applicants, the French Consulate reserves the right to cancel appointments made by the same person on the same day (or even on two different dates).
WARNING: To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Adobe Acrobat reader
- Allow pop-ups