Short stay visa for parent (father/mother) of French nationals (18 years old or older)
Do I need a visa for a short stay in France (less than 90 days) ?
YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries even if you hold a US Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card") :
*BAHREIN, OMAN, QATAR: no visa required for stays of up to 90 days for Diplomatic/special passport holders. (Valid for France ONLY; does not apply to other Schengen countries).
*ALBANIA, BOSNIA, MACEDONIA, MONTENEGRO, SERBIA: no visa required if you hold a biometric passport.
*TAIWAN: No visa required for stays up to 90 days over a period of 6 months in the Schengen area for holders of a Taiwanese passport with a "Personal ID number" (Taiwanese national ID number) written in the passport (found above the date of birth).
NO, if you are a citizen of the United States of America, Canada, Mexico, or countries not listed just above. You may stay up to 90 days per semester.
B1-B2 visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence. No visas will be delivered to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
Processing time depends on your citizenship :
3 weeks is the average processing time if you are a citizen from :
For all other nationalities who need a visa, we strongly suggest to apply at least 2 weeks before your departure. Please apply in advance, do not wait for the last minute. You may apply for your visa no earlier than 3 months before your departure date. No emergency visas will be issued. There is no expedite process.
IMPORTANT: Due to a high number of applicants during the months of JUNE, JULY, AUGUST and DECEMBER, please apply in advance.
We only accept residents from Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Southern California, and Southern Nevada. Please note you will have to show us a driver license from one of these states (for students : driver license or student ID from school located in one of these states).
Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages) valid for at least three months after your return to the US. Make sure your passport has blank pages left to affix the visa. (amendment pages are not suitable for visas). Make sure your passport has been delivered less than 10 years ago.
One application form filled out completely and signed by the applicant.
A valid U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid U.S. visa with valid I-94 or valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document.
- B1-B2 visa holders: Please, apply in the country of your residence. NO VISAS WILL BE DELIVERED to foreigners holding U.S B1-B2 visas.
To be paid in person on the day of the appointment (Visa or Mastercard ONLY).
Click here for a list of the application fees.
Proof of link of filiation with descendant (who must be 18 years old or older):
- Birth certificate
Proof of French nationality of descendant (who must be 18 years old or older):
- (or proof of French nationality of descendant’s spouse) (carte nationale d’identité, marriage certificate)
a TRAVEL INSURANCE that can be reserved online valid for the Schengen States or valid worldwide
VERY IMPORTANT: the document MUST indicate in writing that it covers EACH of the following requirements:
- urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospitalization or death
- minimum coverage amount of 50,000 US$.
- your full name and the effective dates of medical coverage (+ ONE COPY)
We will not accept any insurance that does not mention all of the requirements stated above.
Proof of accomodation :
- Confirmed hotel reservations for your entire stay in the Schengen states
- or a letter from your travel agent stating that you are part of a tour (stating hotel addresses).
- or, if you are staying with friends or family, original of "Attestation d’Accueil" that your host has to request at the City Hall (Mairie) in France
Proof of financial means : your last 3 bank statements showing monthly balance and your name (checking and/or savings). Bank statements should come from a bank in the United States and show that you have enough money for the duration of your stay in the Schengen States.
If you wish to have your passport mailed back bring:
- A self-addressed FedEx Express "US Airbill" or an online prepaid FedEx Airbill printed from the FedEx website
- and FedEx enveloppe
- for US Airbill, please fill out your own address twice (you are the sender AND the recipient):
Your name and address
|Select shipping preference|
Your name and address
We will NOT accept other methods of delivery: (NO USPS, NO UPS, NO FedEx "Ground/Home" service))
DO NOT WRITE THE ADDRESS OF THE CONSULATE IN YOUR RETURN FEDEX AIRBILL
The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen space.
All applicants must apply in person and must make an appointment on our website. Personal appearance is mandatory.
We regret that at this time we do not accept appointments over the phone or via email.
- If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling or rescheduling your appointment by logging back in the appointment system and click on “changing your appointment”.
You will need your “LAX” confirmation number and passport number.
One appointment = one person (for instance, family of four must take four appointments)
One appointment per person only: due to the high number of applicants, the French Consulate reserves the right to cancel appointments made by the same person on the same day (or even on two different dates).
WARNING: To use the system, the following configuration is required :
- Firefox 1.0 and higher
- Mozilla 1.7.8 and higher
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher
- Adobe Acrobat reader and higher
- Allow pop-ups
- The appointment system is NOT compatible with Mac computers
CLICK HERE TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT AT THE VISA SECTION